Banning admin:

Reere

Where were you banned:

Github

Type of Ban:

Permanent

Reason for ban:

Someone merged your PR on accident. It caused major problems on live server

Because you never mentioned in your PRs that testing is required, and never tested yourself, I decided to block you from our codrbase to avoid further problems

Your version of events:

Made a pr, watched it complie.
Was like "Yay it complies"
Made the pr and watched it get approved, looked it over before going to bed "It has not errors!"
Woke up and it was already approved by the time I checked back on it.
Said "Oh wait theirs a error."
Made a second Pr after that, fixing said error

Why you think you should be unbanned:

I like to think it was a simple error that had slipped through the cracks, but all in all the pr in question was infact flawed and I had not stated that bit of it was not tested.

The rest of my Prs will be marked when needed as wished by Reere as "un-tested" if they are not tested locally.

Simple error, on my behalf.

Extra notes:

PR that had the error -
https://github.com/discordia-space/CEV-Eris/pull/5569
PR that fixed the error -
https://github.com/discordia-space/CEV-Eris/pull/5579

drexample
Head Dev

Re: Trilbyspaceclone - Reere

Post by drexample »

Well, you see, what you're proposing as a reason for approving your appeal is not sufficient.
You have to test your Pull Requests and you have to do changes everyone requests.
You have already stated that doing so is "against your morals" which is not a valid excuse in any way.
This, cojoined with you saying that you like "redundant code" and wishing for Maintainers (who already got more than enough things to do) test your own code, as well as a pull request that apparently corrupted game cache for several players, makes working with your code more trouble for dev staff and players, than it is any worth. Do not take this as a personal insult, we don't imply you're a bad person or anything, we just have rules and standards to enforce.

So - you either comply to them and make a point of complying to them or we'll keep your git repo privleges revoked.
Reere
Maintainer

Post by Reere »

Made a pr, watched it complie.
Was like "Yay it complies"
Made the pr and watched it get approved, looked it over before going to bed "It has not errors!"
This is not a proper development practice, and your direct refusal of even considering testing before making PR is not something we can tolerate.
Trilby

Post by Trilby »

drexample wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:56 pm You have already stated that doing so is "against your morals" which is not a valid excuse in any way.
This, cojoined with you saying that you like "redundant code" and wishing for Maintainers (who already got more than enough
When did I say it was against my morals to test code?
Also can I have context for when I stated I liked redundant code?

Edit - I think drexample has me confused with someone. Both of these quotes are not from me.
Reere
Maintainer

Post by Reere »

In my DMs, when I asked you about testing, required changes and so on for few times. I refuse to post those here for the sake of your privacy, but you should know what I'm talking about.

My verdict should stay the same, maintainers are strained as they are on their review capabilities, and we simply cannot allow people who just YOLO PR legit mine fields of problems for us to handle, instead of themselves putting an actual effort to at least run their code on local and ensure it works.
Reere
Maintainer

Post by Reere »

I also want to add for anyone else who reading this - it's alright to make mistakes while coding and developing, as long as you are willing to acknowledge that and put effort into fixing your shit. We all had our bruh moments with our code shitting all over master branch, this just a thing that happens.

It's never alright to stubbornly maintain your bad habits that lead to said shit in the first place, especially if it means more work for reviewers.
Trilby

Post by Trilby »

Reere wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:01 pm
In my DMs, when I asked you about testing, required changes and so on for few times. I refuse to post those here for the sake of your privacy, but you should know what I'm talking about.
If you recall that was to a case, with a wallet. I stated -
its reduntent for the reason of "hey if you make a subtype remember its still not able to fit in"

[7:52 PM]
sorta deal
[7:52 PM]
i like reduntent code
This was to a other problem, and the morals part was to a similar thing. I have never, EVER stated its against my morals to test code.
The cost of the pr in quest is 90% tested on a live server.
The /one/ thing that broke was not even corruption.
It was that the soda/booze/industeral dispensers didnt have stock parts so the NanoUI was like `I cant get the numbers as im diving by 0` kinda deal.
If you look at my past work theirs hardly any errors. This one was a slip though do to making them not subtypes - I then woke up and looked it over and corrected it.

As for the airlock UI menu thing, that wasnt even me. I never touched airlock UI. Idk why I got blamed for that.

Their is some miss-understandment of DM messages here.

Edited Bits on commit below -
Trilby wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:31 am
The rest of my Prs will be marked when needed as wished by Reere as "un-tested" if they are not tested locally.
*Im even tring to compile to maintains*

I dont understand what the issue is at this point, I never made a "ahah just make PRs without any testing with webedits :PP"
Its like, `Oh hey these are issues I can fix`
The code was tested as well, i check the sci png for white artifacts twice before I got them all.
I then looked over the nodes and went "Yep they are all their"
Looked over the bluespace tabs and everything.
The only thing I didnt do was click on a chem dispenser. Or double check if infact I could decon a exl boom box, but seeings how on a other server that has those and that code works their, I went "Im sure that part works" Made the pr and called it a day.

It complied.

It worked for what was tested.