Mycah - Daget24

Moderators: Game admins, Game moderators

Mycah

Mycah - Daget24

Post by Mycah »

So I tried using the Form, but it only said the first two words in "your version of events" so here goes.

*****BYOND Username/Discord Name and Tag
Mycah / This is Mycah#7674

*****Banning Admin
Daget24

*****Where were you banned
En Server

*****Type of Ban
Temporary

*****Duration of Ban
2 Days

*****Reason For Ban
New/Old Exultant joined the round, driving the satellite next to radiation beam, disconnecting the satelite and orbit decay doing the rest. For 10 minutes the ship was getting irradiated, for which he immediately started calling for a lynch mob against technomancers selling crew a story that they griefed (they didn't, exultant just didn't know how the engine works), to which exultant started tellign him off. Preacher himself had been let in by said Exultant, after which, with a bit of BS tech guidance, they fixed the engine and radiation storm dissipated. He and his buddy went full-on bloodthirst, kill technos no matter what "because grief". Got told and ordered by Preacher to not kill Exultant, to which he just said "Nah he dies", after which they proceeded to full on decapitate teh exultant. 2 days ban.

*****Your Version of Events
Character name Jacob Crow, Exaltant, irradiated the ship using the Pulsar, purposefully driving it into the dwarf star. Seen here https://puu.sh/JHLP2/4014d29759.png

When people started blaming technos, he responded with https://puu.sh/JHLPs/b0153502c4.png

This went on for about 20 minutes. I don't have timestamps unfortunately. But during this time, he was yelled at over the radio, threatened, told how to fix it, we see this https://puu.sh/JHLPY/f2d8987fce.png , I ahelped Daget asking if this guy was an antag or something, because why else would he be allowed to fucking irradiate the ship for 20 minutes. He just sorta ignores everything being irradiated, https://puu.sh/JHLQq/85603bb40f.png

I start yelling on the radio, as if Daget wont' do shit about it, we as players can inworld. https://puu.sh/JHLQI/85428f8cd2.png

He defends himself by... saying the Eris shields are on, it's a radiation belt (even thoug hthe announcement said Pulsar Radiation), and calls me a fuckhead. So I responded by telling him the sat has shields, and they're not on enough as they're a variable of strenght.

He stops responding after this. Radiation has been going on for about 20 minutes now.

When I continue to blame him, he gets upset and challenges. https://puu.sh/JHLRo/0095eaf85e.png

Referend Birdwell brings me a rad suit, I grab a screw driver and multitool to open doors. We barely get the doors open, and suddenly the radiation stops. But at this point, the blood is boiling and the mob, myself included, want our twenty minutes back and it's paid for with the head of the exaltant.

I managed to get a couple whacks in, chased Jacob onto the sat, he opened a wall into space using the Hatton, others join in, and eventually he's decapitated.

THAT'S when Daget decides to wake the fuck up and ask me how long I should be banned for "round ending a new returning player." He never responded to the Ahelp, never made a ship announcement, never let anyone know he was handling it in any way.

Daget's failure to be a bloody admin is not mine. He kept everyone in the dark, irradiated, and the only person responsible was a shitposting technomancer exaltant. We did what we thought we had to, because

Daget. Did. Nothing.

I like Daget, but my man this is a braindead scenario that I'm really surprised you handled like this. Normally you're all for denting idiots.

*****Why You Think You Should Be Unbanned
This is

A) "Emergent" gameplay.
B) When Pulsar was created, this exact result was predicted and desired by developers, contributors, and the like.

Daget informed no one that he attempted to do something, he let everyone just sit in radiation. Only after Jacob Crow was turned into a consecrated mass of flesh did he seem to give a shit about anyone else. Is the player behind Jacob Crow a friend?
Notaspider

Re: Mycah - Daget24

Post by Notaspider »

Another NT member here.

It was 20 minutes and literally the entire ship was screaming to kill the technos. Like it or not, unless Daget himself put some event in. The technos would've been taken by the mob. Vagabonds were stuck in the tunnels, Moebius had to mass produce antirads. And IH was executing people in the middle of maint.

Saying this was some NT griefmob isn't true in the slightest.
daget24
EN Game Moderator

Post by daget24 »

First off, which you so horribly fail to remember, our policy is nonintervention. No announcements, no mid-situation scolding, letting the situation play out, and then distinguishing who was stupid about the whole situation and who was not. This also involves ahelps that demand information about the round such as yours: "Is the Techno Exaultant an actual fukken antag to just keep us in a radiation belt for 20 minutes?" when you are still playing the round. It immediately puts an admin in a terrible position where answering reveals classified info about the round, and the only thing that said admin could do is promptly send "Man up" and ignore it. That doesn't mean I don't get involved; I observed the whole situation and got involved when it was settled in the game.

Now to put things straight, Pulsar is a new power engine. On eris and ss13 in general. It draws new and returning players who want to play around with it and see what's up with it. Whether it's grief, it's up to us - admins to determine. Its been out for only 2 weeks. 8 + 2 days from this launch. Newbies will be the norm, and we prefer for people to learn and stay on the server. Now let me inform you what doesn't get them to stay:

So the exultant, hasn't dealt with the Pulsar engine yet. In ahelps, he asks me about it, he gets informed about how the engine works, he sets it fine at first, decay does it thing and a satellite rams into the pulsar beam via decay, to which after he starts boasting about, and you immediately start calling out for lynch, going around and getting even your preacher to agree. Its honestly cringe reaction but understandable given the context. Now behind the scenes, where you don't know if anything happens, Exultant thinks that disconnecting the satellite will fix it, disconects it. It didn't fix the radiation storm, and after a while of you yelling over comms to go and kill all technos, he starts rubber banding between the non existent portal room and rest of the techno place, mocking you for your calls to lynch. This is still something you don't know about. Eventually, Preacher himself comes over, and after trying to break in, Exultant just opens the door and hands him over the Radiation suit. There was no comba, just TE getting lazer shot over beam going through doors. This is the time I actually intervene because as it turns out Preacher himself had no idea how to fix the situation, so I teleported in and pointed out the big Cthulu machinery, where you connect the portal again. After which they both do. This is all the knowledge you as a player don't know.

Now here's what you do know. The issue gets fixed, radiation storm passes, you still charge in with the NT buddy you incited for lynching, and you see FO and Preacher just standing next to TE, not engaged in any combat. Which you decide to ignore it because instead of stopping and trying to acknowledge that TE just fucked up via skill issue, you rationalize to yourself that everyone had been tricked, he actually grieffed, proceed with your lynching, by almost immediately start attacking the TE. The preacher grabs you numerous times, telling you to stop this, which you definitely acknowledged happening and just answered with "Nah. He dies". You skill issued and collapsed from oxygen deprivation and radiation due to shot window, and your buddy lands the killing blow decapping the TE.

Everything, even storming the TE department is fine, it's rationalized. You with buddy immediately going for a kill, despite there not being any urgency or combat situation going on, and acknowledging orders and disobeying is just a case of dumb, unsatiated bloodlust.

Dumb bloodlust is rarely tolerated, and we sometimes ban for it alone, a stubborn rationalization for it is not tolerated, and it being directed at the incompetence of a person trying out new mechanic 3 weeks after its release definitely is not acceptable at all for me.
Mycah

Post by Mycah »

So you'd let everyone suffer, and only intervene after the players solve it themselves in the only way they can.

Having not omnipotent view of the entire game at all times, as a player, it seemed like the TE was just trolling, pretending to be new so he could grief the ship for hahas. Never even tried to fix it, or ask how. If he DID ask how, like through an ahelp, and you stuck by your guns to not intervene with more education than initially given, you're still in the wrong. But I don't know if that happened. You're seeing it from God's seat, I saw shit as a player with limited information.

I saw a TE who wore the haha meme mask, didn't accept responsibility for the radiation when told it was his shit, didn't try anything to fix it, and it only got fixed once everyone showed up to beat him bloody. And when he resisted with lethals, of course it ended up with a body count. This is Eris.

The TE who [REDACTED] while everyone else was trying [Buy now!!!] and didn't even try to fix the problem was seen as a troll, and dealt with as such. Your inability to see it outside of your literal omnipotent position isn't an excuse to apply judgement as though the players had all the information as well.
Mycah

Post by Mycah »

As a quick aside, I am not expecting my ban to be overturned. It's a short one. But won't say I'm not disappointed. Because I am. Hence the attention I'm drawing to it.
Gray
EN Sector Head

Post by Gray »

Hello. I've looked at both sides and will now present my findings.

Mycah, your point of view on everything that happened in that round is understandable. The only thing I would disagree with is labeling the TE as a griefer OOCly instead of treating him as a deranged person ICly. From the moment you put it in your head that he's a griefer, your started to treat this as an OOC issue and no longer an IC one.

Second. Just because the TE is wearing the 'meme mask' does not innately make him a griefer. It's a feature of the game and again, does not make them an OOC griefer.

Following that, your claims that the admins were doing nothing was proven false in Daget's post. Daget was watching it all unfold from your first ahelp, he just did not find it necessary to respond as his response by itself would give you information that you need not have to begin with. Additionally, despite he himself restricting himself from assisting them, he finally did step in at the end once the issue prolonged itself. He was even guiding the TE minimally in ahelps. He was doing things.

Your response to being constantly irradiated and depowered for over 20 minutes is valid. Breaking into the department, trashing shit and raising a ruckus is all understandable. The issue laid in the fact that you let your OOC anger bleed into the game and used that to justify decapitating another player from the round despite the instructions from your IC leader to stop-and-listen.

I think I agree with the preacher on this note. You need to stop and listen. You need to stop and let things play out. The supermatter was too stable of an engine for Eris, and having a new one to shake things up was part of the plan. Fighting over comms? Yes. Breaking into the department? Absolutely. Letting it all fester into a faction conflict? Yup.

But there was no faction conflict here because the Preacher stepped in already and resolved it. Additionally, killing a returning player just because he messed up the engine on his first round is.. Uncool. It's shitty and it's how you drive people away.

Should he have played TE on his first round back? No. But that's my take on the way roles should be played and I wouldn't force it down people's throats.

I will not be approving this appeal as I find the punishment light and sufficient and feel like you will be able to understand what you did wrong by cooling down for the duration. I'll keep this appeal open in case you want to bring up concerns or ask questions, but I hope I addressed any you might have.

Additionally: Yes I get that the TE was being aggravating on comms, that will not change the context inside the engine room and how it played out.
Mycah

Post by Mycah »

How was I supposed to know he was a returning player, or that Daget was actually doing anything, during the whole ordeal?

That's information I was told after the fact and shouldn't be used against me, as there was no way for me to know until told.

Both you and Daget say that him being a returning player is a mark against me as though I should've taken that into consideration. It shouldn't even be mentioned at all, as it didn't, and couldn't, occur to me.

Again, I didn't expect it to be overturned. But I am not the only one who could've made other decisions to avoid this outcome.