MajorMurray #2543

Which characters do you play as, if any:

None regularly, new character each round

What is your timezone?:

UTC -5:00/GMT -6:00/US Central Standard Time

What times are you active?:

Friday, Saturday, Sunday

How long have you played SS13?:

Since 2012. Paused after 2014, returned in 2017, paused in 2018, returned in Summer 2019 and played regularly since.

How long have you played on Eris?:

Since Fall 2019. Paused in Spring 2020 for a brief period.

Previous SS13 Admin Experience, if any:

I have spent most of my SS13 admin experience in Fallout 13 servers during 2019 and early 2020. I learned how to use the Admin Panel and deal with tickets through there, but the quality of admin staff and rules on these servers was universally poor in my opinion.

Why do you want to be an admin?:

I wish to contribute to CEV-Eris, because I believe in its success and what it means for the future of SS13. I enjoy the game design behind the server, the art-style and the rules. I want to make sure that Eris succeeds through proper diligence to the rules.

Extra notes:

I am the Host of another server with Bimmer231, Cold War, and may be required to focus my attention t here. However, I do not believe this will be an issue, as there is an admin staff for that server and is a much smaller project than Eris.

Gray
EN Sector Head

Re: MajorMurray's Application

Post by Gray »

Do you have any bad records on any SS13 servers you've played on? If so, where and what?

I prefer admins to be active members of the community that have mesh in with the players. Your discord tag shows that you have 0 messages on our discord server and I can't say your name ever stood out to me ingame. I don't recall seeing you speak in OOC either.
MajorMurray

Post by MajorMurray »

I do not. The answer as to why also answers your second post. I mainly stick my nose out OOC chat and other business. I like to be quiet and not cause a fuss as a player. My approach to drama is disengagement and I don't get too obsessed/involved with servers that I play. Eris is a bit different, as each time I've played it's been a phenomenal experience for me. If I became an Admin, this would do a 180. I am very involved in communities I have to moderate. I've also been thinking of looking into the #training-request for information on coding, so I'm going to be more regularly posting on the Discord regardless of the outcome of this app.
Gray
EN Sector Head

Post by Gray »

Are you aware that Eris really isn't like other servers and do you think you have the capacity to adapt to the way the Eris administration works on this community?

I'll include more details in the interview but i'd like your answer for this general question first and any observations, reservations or opinions on how communities in SS13 should be run. I'd also like you to get familiar with our rules page and include that in your answer.
MajorMurray

Post by MajorMurray »

The draw for me to Eris is its exceptional quality as a community. I enjoy the orderly development and its open source nature. I enjoy the rich setting which as a long-time tabletop roleplayer allows me to get far more into playing my character than others. At the same time, I enjoy that its world-building supports actual game mechanics and allows for interesting gameplay loops and niches for players to fill in.

I am more than comfortable working with other administrators and coming to learn closely how Eris staff administrates the server. I suspected already that I would have to relearn behaviors related to administration.

In my opinion, no SS13 server should be totally anarchistic. Rules are rules, to be enforced and obeyed. But its better to encourage behaviors than to punish people. This also helps admin staff if the community can already police itself. I believe its the job of the admin to remove problem players - those who skirt the rules and constantly cause issues each and every round, than to watch every single player like a hawk equally.

In addition, I feel it shouldn't be said, but I really think an SS13 community or any gaming community dies when admins play favorites and ignore rules to let people they know personally off light. Whether an admin knows someone personally or not shouldn't influence a ruling or judgement, only the prior behavior of the offending player. For example, if an acquaintance told me they were metagaming with another player as to the whereabouts of someone they intended to mess with or they were using multiple accounts to avoid being banned by another admin, I wouldn't tolerate that. Even less egregious behavior such as shitposting in the general chat wouldn't get a pass.
Gray
EN Sector Head

Post by Gray »

Approved, welcome aboard